Video Audition Instructions
VIDEO AUDITIONS – UCT Theatre & Performance
Please read these instructions carefully while preparing, filming and uploading your monologue.
- You are to perform 2 acting pieces of maximum 2 minutes each as well as a 30-40 second personal introduction. Your video should be a maximum of 5 minutes long. Your personal introduction should include your name, age, where you’re from and why you want to study theatre at UCT.
- If your monologue is speaking to another character, don’t direct the speech to an 'invisible person’ on stage. That means don’t set up a chair and speak to it, and don’t direct your speech at a wall or to empty space. Use the camera as the character you’re addressing and speak directly to us or the person filming you.
- Don’t edit or cut the video in any way, and don’t add any graphics to the video.
- Film in a room with clear audio against a plain coloured wall, preferably inside. Be sure to listen to the playback to see if your voice is completely clear in the space you’ve chosen! Don’t film in rooms with an echo.
- The video does not have to be HD quality, but be sure whoever is filming you keeps the camera completely still (i.e. no camera movement). You can film on your cellphone camera or a basic digital camera.
- You can use props and set as you see fit, but try to keep this to a minimum. Your video will not be judged on production value. Keep it as stripped down and as simple as possible.
- If you’re applying as an actor or theatre maker in a language other than English (bilingual streams), prepare at least one of your pieces in that language.
- Refrain from accent work. Our students usually don’t start on accents until the senior years, as such work is considered advanced voice practice. In first year, we’re much more interested in your own voice and how you interpret the piece in a way that feels like an honest reflection of your own experience and background. Speak in your own voice!
- We encourage the use of theatre pieces over film extracts. Below are links to some suggested monologues.
Have a great audition!
- Boo to the Moon
- The Hungry Earth
- So What's New?
- No-Good Friday
- My Children My Africa
- My Children My Africa (2)
- Mooi Street Moves
- Master Harold and the Boys
- Hello and Goodbye
- The Blue Period of Milton van der Spuy
- Curl up and Dye
Please note: these monologues are only suggestions. Applicants are welcome to present their own choice of pieces. Please ensure that you source and read the entire play.