Home > UCT Student Support

UCT Student Support

  • Sexual harassment
  • Sexual Assault
  • Rape
  • Food Security
  • Counselling
  • Disability Support
  • Reporting problems with staff
  • Funding
  • Career Guidance

Sexual harassment

If you have been sexually harassed, you can inform your lecturer or trusted member of staff for guidance and/or contact Student Wellness Services (SWS) for counselling and advice:

The Student Wellness Service

28 Rhodes Ave

Tel: 021 650 1017 / 1020
Email: counselling@uct.ac.za (for appointments only)

A counsellor is available on Hiddingh campus on Fridays and appointments can be made via the above phone number. Please specify that you wish to see a counsellor at Hiddingh. Appointments can be made on other days at the SWS offices in Mowbray, on the same phone number.


The UCT Discrimination and Harassment Office (DISCHO) can advise you on how to proceed in officially reporting any matters of discrimination, harassment, domestic violence, and rape.

Discrimination & Harassment Office
The Cottage
Lovers' Walk
Lower Campus South

Tel: 021 650 3530



Ensure you understand what can be considered ‘sexual harassment’. The following is from the UCT Sexual Harassment Policy.


Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that violates the rights of a person. It constitutes serious misconduct and will result in disciplinary action. 

Unwelcome sexual conduct includes behaviour that is perceived by the complainant as demeaning, compromising, embarrassing, threatening and/or offensive including physical, verbal and non-verbal conduct. Such conduct may be direct or indirect and may include technological devices, images and weapons. A single incident of unwelcome sexual conduct can constitute sexual harassment. 

Unwelcome physical conduct ranges from touching to sexual assault and rape. Unwelcome verbal conduct includes innuendos, suggestions or hints of a sexual nature, sexual advances, sexual threats, comments with sexual overtones, sex-related jokes or insults, graphic comments about a person's body, inappropriate enquiries about a person's sex life, whistling of a sexual nature and the sending by electronic means or otherwise of sexually explicit text.  Unwelcome non-verbal conduct includes gestures, indecent exposure and the display or sending by electronic or other means sexually explicit pictures or objects.

Special victimisation is any form of victimisation, discrimination or intimidation of a person for failing to submit to sexual advances.

Quid pro quo harassment in the University is when an alleged perpetrator attempts to influence the admission to or appointment of a person in the university by coercing or attempting to coerce a person into sexual activities.

SEXUAL OFFENCES POLICY UCT http://www.sart.uct.ac.za/sites/default/files/image_tool/images/388/Get_Information/Policies/UCT%20Sexual%20Offences%20Policy.pdf

Sexual Assault http://www.sart.uct.ac.za/

UCT’s Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) is a collaborative collective designed to empower the university community with the knowledge and skills to effectively respond to and prevent sexual violence on campus and where such violence affects our staff and students off-campus. The team works to ensure that survivors of sexual violence access survivor-centered, compassionate care. 24-Hour Hotline  072 393 7824

What to do if you have been raped

In the case of a sexual assault or rape, the following action is recommended:

  • Call or go to Campus Protection Services (CPS) immediately. Tel. 021 650 2222/3. CPS officers are trained in dealing with these types of situation, allow them to assist.
  • Call a friend or relative for support.
  • Do not wash yourself or change clothes as there might be hair, blood or semen on your body or clothes than can be used as evidence of the rape.
  • Go straight to a hospital for treatment. See hospitals below. A doctor will do a forensic examination and you will be provided with medication: post-exposure antiretroviral for HIV prevention, antibiotics to prevent sexually transmitted infections, and the morning after pill to prevent pregnancy.
  • The medication needs to be taken within 72 hours of the incident.

Note: You have access to medical care and treatment whether you lay a charge with the police or not. You may, however lay a charge at your local police station at any time, but also as soon as possible.

  • Report the rape to the local South African Police Service (SAPS).
  • Note the name of the police officer in charge of your case and your case number.
  • It is advisable to seek counselling. This is available at Student Wellness Centre – see contact information above.


Not Private (State)

Victoria Hospital Rape Forensic Unit

Alphen Hill Rd, Wynberg

Tel: (021) 799 1235

Map to Victoria Hospital http://www.sart.uct.ac.za/map-victoria-hospital


Groote Schuur Hospital

Main Road, Observatory
Tel: 021 404-4112/4473

New Somerset Hospital

Portswood Road, Green Point

Tel: 021 402 6911/ 6408


Netcare Christian Barnard Memorial Hospital

181 Longmarket Street (off Loop Street)

Tel: 021 4806111

Mediclinic Cape Town

21 Hof Street

Tel: 021 4645500

Claremont Hospital Emergency Unit
Medical Centre, Main Rd, Claremont
Tel: 021 670 4333

Vincent Pallotti Hospital
Alexandra Rd, Pinelands
Tel: 021 506 4000

Rondebosch Medical Centre (opposite Red Cross Childrens Hospital)
Emergency Unit
Tel: 021 685 8706

For additional information:

Rape Crisis couselling lines and support

24 hr Crisis Line Tel: 021 447 9762

Athlone Tel: 021 633 9339

Khayelitsha Tel: 021 361 9085



Food Security

If you have no access to food, inform your lecturer, a mentor or a member of staff that you trust, or a counsellor at Student Wellness http://www.uct.ac.za/students/health/wellness/counselling/contacts/

Whilst funding is not available to support students, provision can be made for emergencies, and funding permitting, for desperate situations in the short term. 


Appointments with counsellors can be made through Student Wellness Services based in Mowbray at the SWS center, or once a week on campus, Student Support Room, Studio 2C, Ritchie Building.

Student Wellness Services for counseling and advice:

The Student Wellness Service
28 Rhodes Ave
Mowbray 7700
Tel: 021 650 1017 / 1020
Email: counselling@uct.ac.za (for appointments only)

A counsellor is available on Hiddingh campus on Fridays and appointments can be made via the above number. Please specify that you wish to see a counsellor at Hiddingh. Appointments can be made on other days at the SWS offices in Mowbray, on the same phone number.


Disability Service

The Disability Service offers support for physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which may impact a student’s participation and achievement in the university programs.  The service can provide assessment and documentation for teaching staff to ensure that students with disabilities can secure particular consideration in order to participate in the course requirements fairly.

The Disability Service is located Steve Biko Students Union building, one floor above the Food Court, in the building next to the main Upper Campus Library, and one floor down from SHAWCO and the Student Societies offices. Access to the 4th floor is via the lift or stairs.

Students requiring support for disabilities should complete a registration form as soon as possible after registering to request support or special assistance known as ‘Reasonable Acccomodations’.  Applicants should bring any supporting documentation they have when registering with the service.

Disability Service Reception
Room 4.03, Level 4
Steve Biko Students Union Building, Upper Campus

Tel: 021 650 2427


Reporting problems with staff

Please note that this is under discussion and information may be updated in the near future.

If you feel that a staff member has engaged with you inappropriately, the following procedure is currently prescribed by the university - report the incident to the Programme Convener, if you are not satisfied, then to the Head of Department (HOD), then the Deputy Dean of Students, and Finally to the Dean of Humanities.

In the Faculty of Humanities: http://www.humanities.uct.ac.za/hum/contact/staff 

The Deputy Dean of Students is Associate Professor Lance van Sittert

The Dean of Humanities is Prof Sakhela Buhlungu

You also have the option of contacting DISCHO: http://www.uct.ac.za/services/discho/

And the Ombud:  https://www.uct.ac.za/about/ombud/

You can also contact your lecturer, a trusted member of staff, mentor or counsellor from Student Wellness.


UCT funding possibilities



Links include: Financial Aid, external funding, scholarships, bursaries/


https://www.uct.ac.za/apply/funding/postgraduate/applications/Links include: Applications & requirements, bursaries & scholarships.

Student Financial Aid office:

Tel: 021 650 3545
Email: FinancialAid@uct.ac.za

Student Financial Aid Office

Level 3, Kramer Law Building
Cross Campus Road
Middle Campus

Private Bag X3

Career Guidance

Careers Service offers advice, career information and opportunities before applying to UCT and to all students during their degrees.

Students can:

- visit their offices in the Hoerikwaggo Building (Level 1) on Upper Campus, Mon-Fri: 8:30 - 16:30;

- ask a question or book an appointment by logging in to ‘MyCareer’ on the website;

- phone Mon-Fri: 8:30 - 16:30 on 021 650 2497http://www.careers.uct.ac.za/

For career-related queries, email careers.service@uct.ac.za.